Top 7 Things To See and Do In Ancient Athens, Greece

things to see and do in Athens

Traveling to Greece has always been a top priority on my list of places to travel. The rich history, the fantastic food and of course the gorgeous men.. surely that’s not just me? ok maybe it is but still. After spending a few days in Athens last week I couldn’t wait to get back and be able to share my experience with you all, so here it goes!

In this post, I aim to share my super itinerary to ensure you don’t miss out on a single thing during your stay in Athens. Worried about missing out on the best parts? Especially as you’ve only got a few days? you needn’t worry! that’s all you need to experience the best of what Athens has to offer. Here are my Top 7 things to see and do in Ancient Greece.

Acropolis

Welcome to the heart of Athens, here is where you’ll find the fascinating Acropolis. Inside Acropolis, you will see the remains of the Parthenon, a temple built in 432 before Christ dedicated to the goddess Athena. Inside this abandoned town onto of the hillside you’ll discover so much of the rich ancient Greek history. Admission costs around € 20 however, you can purchase a combined ticket for € 30 which gives you access to many more of the ruin sites around the city.

Well worth the money if you ask me!

acropolis
athens greece
athens greece

Temple of Athena/Nike

Situated inside the Acropolis you will find the spectacular Temple of Athena. Located on the southwest side of the Acropolis plateau, right next to the Propylaia. This temple was built around 420 BC and is the earliest fully Ionic temple on the ancient village.

I think out of all the ruins I got to experience during my time away, this temple was by far my favourite. I don’t even think I need to explain why when the photo does it that much justice. What an incredible piece of history.

temple of athena

Other Ruins Included In The Combo Ticket

I definitely thought it would be worth mentioning the combo ticket because I never knew this ticket existed until I arrived in Athens. Not only does this ticket give you a lot for your money but you also get to skip the massive queues at Acropolis.

The ticket is valid for five consecutive days at the price of 30 euros. Giving you access to the Acropolis and six of the other must-see archaeological sites in Athens, including the Ancient Agora, Hadrian’s Library and the Roman Agora.

These sites aren’t as popular but are definitely not worth missing out on. Here are some photos to show you exactly what’s about for you to go and discover.

athens greece
athens greece
athens greece

Plaka

A short trip from the Apocolis itself you will find a small village like section known as Plaka. Plaka is a lovely little-cobbled street section of Athens surrounded by great places to shop and eat. Here is where you will find all your souvenir gifts, family-owned taverns and sidewalk restaurants.

If you are looking for food recommendations you have most definitely come to the right place. A short 2-minute walk from Plaka you will find a beautiful restaurant known as Arcadia. In all my trips abroad, I have never had an experience quite like I did at this place. Not only was their food amazing but their hospitality was beyond anything I’d ever experienced before.

To begin with they supplied us with warm, fresh bread with a great greek dip (unfortunately I cannot remember what this was called). Then they brought us an ice cold liter bottle of still water to share, which was absolutely amazing after spending hours prior to this in 33-degree heat. Lastly, after the meal, they asked if we had time to spare as we could both have a beer on the house. All of the above was completely free and who doesn’t LOVE a freebie!

arcadia
plaka greece

The Acropolis Musuem

Understandably by the time your trip comes to an end you may be sick and tired of ruins but, I can assure you this one is worth a trip. This museum isn’t included on the combo ticket, however, only costs €5 to get in and even cheaper if you’re a student. The Acropolis Museum is an archaeological museum focused on the findings of the archaeological site of the Acropolis of Athens. Each and every finding you see in the building is a spectacular piece of history. Unfortunately, I am unable to share any photos with you from my trip here due to the high security.

Inside you will find endless corridors full of the oldest pieces of history. What fascinated me the most was the fact some of these were dated back to BC. That’s some crazy history right there.

The City Tour Bus

I’m not normally the cliche tourist when I go on holiday, I like to make sure I get to experience the culture. However, the city tour bus in Athens is a fantastic way of getting around Greece and experiencing beyond what the city has to offer. The city bus offers 4 different lines which will get you EVERYWHERE and I mean everywhere. On this, you will be able to discover the whole of Athens city center as well as trips to and from the beach and across to Piraeus (the ferry port). It is such an easy and affordable way of seeing everything you need to.

The main reason we decided to purchase this ticket was that we wanted to take a trip down to the beaches as well as a trip to Vouliagmeni lake. Via taxi, this trip would have cost €30 each way, however, via the city bus we got it for €25 which was valid for 2 days as well.

Sometimes it pays to be that cliche tourist, hey!

city tour bus athens

Vouliagmeni Spa Lake

To finish up my travels in Athens, I have decided to share my favourite part with you. The gorgeous Vouliagmeni Natural Spa and & Mineral lake is a definite must see. Located only a 30-minute drive from Athens city center it’s worth taking a trip down. The lake is open year round. In the winter season, the hours are from 8 am to 5 pm. In the summer from 6:30 am to 8 pm.

Not only does this place look wonderful but can actually do so much goodness for your body. The minerals within this spa have been reported to have many healing properties for such ailments as eczema and dermatological diseases, neuralgia, headaches, and the list goes on.

Last but not least, during your visit make sure to look out for a few little friends located beneath the surface. They aren’t shy and will definitely come and say hi.

Remember, fish are friends, not food.

You could easily spend the whole day here as they have many comfortable areas to relax, soak up the sun and eat plenty of food. As you can see from the pictures below we made sure to do exactly that.

athens days out
natural spa lake
natural spa lake
natural spa lake

Have you ever taken a trip to Athens, Greece? If so, what was your favourite part?

Also, make sure not forget to check out my other posts about my trip to Greece. Next, we are taking a trip to the Greek island of Santorini.

Delicious Places To Eat & Drink In Athens, Greece.

1. alice_kbsld
    September 10, 2018 / 12:31 pm

I love travel posts! Greece is definitely on my list 🙂
    Great post and lovely pictures! xx

2. September 10, 2018 / 4:05 pm

Totally agree with the sights you’ve mentioned, I went to Athens earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised to find out as an EU student I could get into all the ruins for free! Lovely post xx
    Alys

• September 10, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Oh that’s amazing, lucky for you! Saved yourself a few euros there. But anyway I’m glad you agree and thank you for taking the time to read my post 😊xx

3. September 10, 2018 / 6:53 pm

Your post has me thinking that I’ve got to get to Greece. Your post was super informative. Gorgeous photos too. Thanks for sharing.

• September 10, 2018 / 7:30 pm

Thank you so much lovely! Definitely take a trip if you get chance x

4. September 11, 2018 / 7:22 am

I love the parts of Greece that I have been to, but I’ve not visited Athens yet! My partner loves Greek mythology so it’s definitely on the cards and I’ll make sure to check out all of these places!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

• September 11, 2018 / 10:14 am

Thank you for taking the time to read my post hun! this was my first time in Greece and I was so surprised, it’s absolutely beautiful, isn’t it! If your partner is into that, it’s honestly the best place you guys could go! defo check it out if you get the chance x x x

• September 12, 2018 / 2:20 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was great 😊

• September 15, 2018 / 4:59 pm

Thank you lovely, that means so much to me! I wish I hadn’t already done the sunshine blogger award but I’ve already got involved. Thank you for the nomination however, I will defo go and check your post out 💓x

5. September 20, 2018 / 10:56 am

Looks amazing! Love anything that’s super old, can’t wait to check them out!

6. undoubtedlyyoung
    September 21, 2018 / 7:05 am

Awesome read! I love travel posts & your pictures are great! 🙂

7. September 28, 2018 / 8:25 am

Babe, you took some amazing photos. I stopped off in athens on my way to Barcelona. I do wish I stopped and had a chance to explore, I must go back and see it and checked out these spots you recommend.

Loved the pictures in this post

Jenna|xo

• September 28, 2018 / 9:53 am

Oh thank you so much! I was super happy with the way some of my photos came out so I’m glad you think so! I’d love to go to Barcelona so maybe we should swap tips! yay x x x

8. January 19, 2019 / 6:46 pm

Can’t wait to travel to Athens!! It’s our dream!!

• January 19, 2019 / 7:03 pm

It’s a great place! Definitely recommend 😊 thanks for taking a look at my post!

9. January 26, 2019 / 7:43 pm

I’ve always known I like Greece, but this confirmed it. Athens looks like a dream ! Thank you so much for sharing ! ❤️

• January 27, 2019 / 12:57 pm

That’s ok! Thank you for taking your time to read my post! Athens is such a beautiful place 😍❤️

10. January 30, 2019 / 11:18 am

Great Greece travel guide! Thank you for sharing this.

11. Blue DeBell
    January 30, 2019 / 4:33 pm

I love this ❤️ It makes me want to go to Athens! The spa lake looks AMAZING

• January 30, 2019 / 5:46 pm

Oh thank you so much! It really was so much fun! The spa was crazy good! Loved it 👏🏼🤣

12. February 4, 2019 / 10:18 am

Greece looks amazing, looks like you two had such good fun!

13. February 5, 2019 / 8:55 pm

I’ve been dying to go to Greece and this post didn’t help me! Lol I’m going to bookmark this for when I can finally get myself out there. Looks amazing!

• February 5, 2019 / 9:31 pm

Thanks so much! I wanted to go for so long and so glad I finally did! Definitely put it on your list lovely 😊

14. February 5, 2019 / 8:56 pm

I’ve only ever been to Athens once on a flying visit of less than 24 hours, I was only 14 and our plane had to emergency land there on the way back from Zante because there was a problem with the engine. I would love to go back there after seeing your photos though it looks absolutely stunning! The hotel they put us in wasn’t far from the really old Olympic stadium so that was cool to see!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com xx

• February 7, 2019 / 4:21 pm

Oh wow! What a crazy journey for you! But I guess at least you got to view a little bit of the city! I definitely would recommend going back though, it’s a lovely place for sure 😊❤️ Thank you so much for reading Jess! X

15. February 9, 2019 / 7:08 pm

Wow! I read your story and congrats for being honest. I like the pictures and I can wait to visit Athens!

• February 10, 2019 / 3:13 pm

Oh Thank you lovely! It’s a fab place honestly! very glad I visited 🙂 thanks for sticking around to read! x x x

16. Pamela
    February 10, 2019 / 10:17 pm

“fish are friends not food” love it!
    What a beautiful trip, thanks for sharing all the best activities!

• February 11, 2019 / 11:57 am

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post, I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed! 🙂