Visiting The Real Hundred Acre Wood, Ashdown Forest

After recently watching Disney’s Christopher Robin I decided to research upon the true meaning behind this magical story. That’s when I realised that the real Hundred Acre Wood was only a 45 minutes drive from my hometown. I jumped & screamed, demanding that we take a road trip to visit and that’s exactly what we decided to do.

Despite the well known story involving Christopher Robin and his furry friends, visiting the hundred-acre wood can prove quite difficult. You will most definitely need a car and a good map to reach Ashdown Forest located in the heart of East Sussex.

ashdown forest

Starting Your Adventure Over At ‘Pooh Corner’

Located in the countryside village of Hartfield you will discover Pooh Corner, In my opinion, this is the best place to begin your adventure. Pooh’s Corner is a grand tea room & gift shop where you can freshen up before you begin your little journey of the day.

Luckily for us, it was a beautiful day outside so we decided to spend some time relaxing in the tea garden. Considering it was the only beverage stop in a very touristy location it wasn’t too expensive either. Which of course, is another great benefit of the day out. Let’s be honest, is there actually anything better than a pot of tea and some cakes? I think not.

My favourite thing about this shop was how involved they were with the history of their village. The staff inside were extremely helpful and directed us to exactly where we wanted to be. For only 50p you could purchase a Winnie The Pooh map which had directions to all the hidden locations around the area. For such a small price we managed to discover so many hidden gems which made me relive all my childhood dreams.

pooh corner
pooh corner

Don’t Forget To Play A Game of ‘Pooh Sticks’

Can you really visit the hundred-acre wood without playing a game of pooh sticks? If you don’t know how to play don’t worry because the rules are very simple! Each player collects a stick, then when ready each player drops their stick on the upstream side of a bridge and the one whose stick first appears on the downstream side is the winner.

And if you still don’t understand the rules, make sure to click this link and Winnie The Pooh himself will show you how.

ashdown forest
ashdown forest

You Can Even Stop By Pooh’s House For Some Tea & Honey

Just a little bit further on from the bridge you will find Winnie The Pooh’s house. This was a hidden gem in itself because not many people knew it was here (so make sure not to miss it!) Just by heading up the pathway deeper into the forest you will be sure to come across this small property on the left.

It’s a very sweet area to visit with many letters and merchandise left by all of Winnie’s adoring fans. If you have little children, getting them to write their own letter to the animals would be a lovely idea, an idea which I’m sure all kids would love.

ashdown forest

Go Beyond The Beaten Track Of Ashdown Forest

Ashdown Forest has parking lots surrounded with names like “Piglet’s” and signposts to Heffalump Trap, Galleons Lap, and the North Pole. It’s definitely easy to get around the hundred-acre wood on your adventure but, what if I was to tell you that there’s even more?

Despite this area being so famously known for this story, there is actually a lot more to go and discover. Ashdown Forest is spread across 6,400 acres of land. With its natural beauty and picturesque sites, it’s well and truly worth heading off on some of the local walks to discover more. Since our first visit we’ve actually gone back multiple times and walked around many of the surrounding areas.

Was it just me who absolutely loved Winnie The Pooh as a child? Surely not! Make sure to let me know who your favourite childhood character was and why?

1. February 17, 2019 / 12:37 pm

I loved winnie the pooh, this looks like such a magical place!

• February 17, 2019 / 4:12 pm

Oh it was great! Thanks for reading 😊❤️

2. February 17, 2019 / 1:48 pm

My mum and sister took my youngest two girls to this place a bit before Christmas and my youngest is now besotted with it! It looks fab and so cute! Xx

• February 17, 2019 / 2:54 pm

Ah that’s lovely to hear! Glad they had a good time! It’s a defo a great little day out for sure x

3. February 17, 2019 / 1:55 pm

Ha!! I have some hilarious memories in relation to this forest! When I was like 9 or so, I actually got so badly lost there because, well I turned in the wrong direction. Ever since I have this fear of walking around forests (unsupervised). My sense of direction is horrible. Even though, that forest is actually gorgeous!
    Laura / https://www.laustworld.com/

• February 17, 2019 / 2:50 pm

Oh my gosh, that sounds awful! But I’m glad you can look back on it and laugh now! Lol bless you! 😂 X

4. February 17, 2019 / 2:38 pm

I now feel like I need to visit Ashdown Forest myself! I love Winnie The Pooh so much and this post has made me feel like my life won’t be complete until I’ve been able to visit the Hundred Acre Wood haha! Thank you so much for sharing this, I didn’t know it existed before but now I can’t wait to plan a trip there!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• February 17, 2019 / 2:47 pm

Ah you’re more than welcome Jess! I didn’t even realise this place existed either but once I googled it and realised I had to go! It really was such a cute little experience so definitely worth a visit 😊❤️ Thanks for taking a little read of my post! Glad you enjoyed x

5. February 17, 2019 / 4:34 pm

Oh my goodness I would absolutely love to go here as an adult and take my future children. How magical!
    Rosie

• February 17, 2019 / 4:39 pm

Oh thanks for taking the time to read through! It really was a lovely day! You should definitely head over if you get the chance 😊❤️

6. You, Me and Benny
    February 17, 2019 / 5:54 pm

OMGGGGG This is AMAZING!!! I want to go… I need to plan a trip because this would be so so so cool!

• February 19, 2019 / 6:58 pm

Hahaha thanks so much lovely! it really was a great day out 🙂 let me know if you decide to visit!

7. February 17, 2019 / 8:03 pm

Wow this is awesome! One of my dreams was always to buy a piece of property which was 100 acres and name it accordingly. The only problem is that I don’t know how I could ever possibly afford such a property. 😕

• February 19, 2019 / 6:47 pm

Thanks so much! It was a lovely little experience! x

• February 19, 2019 / 6:44 pm

Oh yeah me neither! I only recently just foumd out! I’m pretty sure I’d passed it before as well! haha 🙂

8. Abbie Green
    February 20, 2019 / 9:24 pm

I love this area, it’s so close to where I live and it’s so nice!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it❤️

• February 20, 2019 / 9:32 pm

Oh that’s so cool! You’re lucky because it’s a beautiful area 😁😊❤️

9. February 22, 2019 / 6:19 pm

This is so cute, I visited this when I lived in Kent I was only little so can’t remember much. Definitely have to go back one day!

• March 7, 2019 / 9:47 am

Oh thank you for reading Michelle, it really is a lovely little place! definitely head back one day if you’re ever in the area again 🙂

10. March 31, 2019 / 8:24 pm

I would love to visit here it looks fabulous. great post really well written 🙂 happy sunday

• April 5, 2019 / 2:16 pm

Thank you lovely! It’s a really great place to go 🙂 x