6 Ways To Make Learning A Language Part of Your Daily Routine

Have you ever considered learning a language but feel like you don’t have the spare time? Well, I’m here to show you that anyone is able to become a bilingual champion. Just by tweaking your day to day life slightly you’ll have another language under wraps before you know it.

As a busy girl who has spent many hours learning Espanol. I have many tips and tricks for integrating learning a foreign language into your lifestyle. Whether you’re looking to improve your employability potential or are interested in taking up a new hobby, Listen and learn is the way forward.

learning a language

6 Ways To Make Learning A Language Part of Your Daily Routine

Watch Movies/TV Shows In Your Chosen Langauge:

One of the best ways to learn a second language is to watch movies and tv shows. Not only is it an exciting way of learning but is also very effective. Don’t get me wrong, you won’t watch a 90-minute movie and come out the other side a native speaker but it will help you to improve.

Whether you’re learning French, Spanish, Italian or even Cantonese it doesn’t matter. With services such as Netflix’s, Youtube and Amazon Prime, there are many choices to go ahead and choose from. I recently watched the Spanish film Veronica on Netflix’s with the subtitles. Of course, everyone has their own preference but I find subtitles very beneficial when understanding what I’m hearing.

Always Keep A Notepad On You:

Although we live in a world where having a phone, tablet or laptop is the norm. It’s not always the most beneficial method for learning a new language. If you want to get the most out of your new journey, you should keep a notebook and pen with you at all times.

You never know when you might get a spare five minutes throughout your day. That way if you have your pad on you, you can get it out and refresh your mind at any given moment. This is a perfect method for people who have busy lives. Whether you’re commuting too and from work, a parent waiting to do the school run or even on your lunch break. Now the best part about this is that you can do it anywhere and everywhere, so theres no excuses.

Duolingo app
learning a language

Related: Top Things To See and Do In Athens, Greece

Use Learning A Language Apps & Games

Isn’t it amazing the kind of things that have been made available via electrical devices? Apps are a fantastic way to get all sorts of things done. You can literally do anything on your mobile these days. Whether you’re online banking, socialising with friends, organising your calendar, etc. so why not incorporate this with your language learning?

There are many different apps being made available online such as Duolingo or FluentU so have a look around and try some out. It’s always best to test out a few and see which one works for you. I have had a lot of great experiences using Duolingo and I have decided to continue with these for now. A lot of them offer short tests, popular phrases and games to help you practice your writing and speaking skills.

Learn With Friends And Family:

Giving you someone to practice with makes the whole experience a lot easier. By learning with a family member, friend or even your partner you can help motivate one another to carry on pushing forward. There will always come a time when one of you feel like giving up but you can help support one another.

Learning a language is not easy and having that extra support will be extremely beneficial for your education. If you haven’t got any friends who are interested in learning alongside you, don’t worry! There are many online communities which can help put you in contact with others wanting to learn the same language as you. You’re never alone.

Communicate With The Locals:

Obviously, this is a lot easier said than done because we can’t all be jumping on planes left, right and center. However, planning a trip to a country where the native language is the one you are learning is a great way to practice. Many travel agencies offer cheap, short break weekend deals. If you’re learning a local language such as; French or Spanish. Go ahead and see if you can plan a little getaway and practice with the locals themselves.

I understand that it can feel very daunting and embarrassing to practice in person. You may be feeling nervous about getting it wrong and people laughing. My one bit of advice would be don’t ever feel scared to try because I can promise you, the locals will be more than happy to help and will appreciate your effort (even if you do get the pronunciation wrong).

Remember, Practise Makes Perfect

Remember nothing worth having comes easy in life. Do not expect to be bilingual by the end of the week because that just isn’t going to happen. It’s not even about putting in all the time and effort, it’s about being consistent.

Consistency and fun are what learning a language is all about. Take a look at all the different methods/programmes made available to you and see what works best in your lifestyle. Good luck with your journey and I wish you all the success in learning your new skill.

Have you ever considered learning a second language? Or maybe you already have 3 languages on your belt? Make sure to let us know your best tips and tricks for success in the comment section below!

Duolingo app
learning a language

This is a collaborative post however, all opinions are my own. I would never promote a product that I haven’t used or wouldn’t reccomend to my family & friends.

1. March 30, 2019 / 7:12 pm

Estudié español en la escuela secundaria para tres años. Hay muchos que hablan español aquí en California. Pero no he vivido en ningún país hispanohablante, entonces a mí es difícil hablar español, especialmente con hablantes nativos. A mi trabajo, puedo llamar por teléfono un padre que habla español y decir que su estudiante no hace tarea o habla en clase con estoy hablando. Pero cuando el padre me habla, solamente entiendo casi medio de las palabras, y necesito repetir lo que dije en mis palabras propias, para asegurar que me entienda. A mí, es más fácil leer y escribir en español, porque puedo pensar en lo que las palabras significan. Y escribí todo de esto sin usar diccionario o Google Traducir, entonces es posible de algo no es correcto. 

• March 31, 2019 / 6:47 am

Wow! I never said I was a professional 😉 haha! I’ve only just started to learn unfortunately! I could tell you phrases but grammar is definitely not under wraps yet I’m afraid. I’d love to be able to understand fluently because half my family are from Spain and I would love to be about to communicate 😩 thanks for reading though x

• March 31, 2019 / 7:24 am

You said you’d spent many hours learning Spanish… I guess I overestimated how many. 🙂 I said basically that I took Spanish in high school and have been around it a lot, but I’ve never lived among native speakers so I’m still not good at speaking. I can get by telling Spanish-speaking parents that their kid isn’t doing their homework or is talking out of turn in class, but when they reply, I usually have to repeat it back in my own words to make sure I understand. It’s easier to read and write Spanish for me, because I can think about what the words mean, although I don’t do it anywhere near as fast as I do in English.

How’s life? Baby coming soon, yes?

• March 31, 2019 / 1:07 pm

Oh gosh, I honestly have put in so many hours but I will be honest I go against my own advice because I struggle so much with consistency! It’s a shame because half of my family is Spanish and I’d love to be able to communicate with them more. It’s fantastic how well you can speak it though, I am very impressed! also yes! baby is very soon now with only 8 weeks left to go so I’m very excited for that! hope you are keeping well x

• March 31, 2019 / 3:08 pm

I’m excited for you! I don’t have kids myself, but I know your life will completely change after this… but it’ll be so worth it. I’m doing okay, just trying to get my life out from under the avalanche of work and home repairs and clutter that has been piling up the last few months.

• March 31, 2019 / 6:52 pm

Thank you so much! I’m definitely looking froward to the new adventure I’ve got coming ahead! I’m sure it will be difficult at times but worth every minute 😊 also, I wish you the best of luck with your tasks! I’m sure you’ll get on top of things! Glad you’re well x

• March 31, 2019 / 7:27 am

And on a related note, this is an excerpt of the story I posted on my other blog this morning. (And yes, that restaurant is a real place and is really called that.)

I sat quietly eating and listened to their conversation. “We’re gonna have to take two cars there,” Pat said. “It’s too far to walk. Can anyone else drive?”

“I will,” Mike offered. “Where did you say he lives?”

“An apartment in north Jeromeville, on the corner of Andrews and Alvarez. Las Casas Apartments, he said it was called.”

“‘Las Casas.’ That’s kind of a dumb name. It means ‘The Houses.’”

“That’s kind of like one time, I was visiting my relatives in Bidwell,” I said, “and we went to this Mexican restaurant called ‘La Comida.’” Everyone laughed, except Karen.

“What does ‘La Comida’ mean?” Karen asked. “I took French in high school, not Spanish.”

“‘The Food!’” shouted Mike.

“There’s actually a restaurant called ‘The Food?’” Gina asked.

“It’s real,” Keith said. “I’ve been there.”

2. March 31, 2019 / 8:56 am

I love this post so much! I’m terrible with languages. I took Chinese in high school but I can barely remember anything from those classes. That tip about watching movies/tv shows in you chosen language is such a good one! I’ve been watching quite a few k-dramas recently and I’ve definitely picked up quite a few Korean words and phrases from them. I have so many friends who can speak more than one language really well and I’m so envious of them!

• March 31, 2019 / 1:05 pm

Oh that’s really cool! I wish we were able to learn Chinese over in England but it doesn’t tend to be an option very often! I also do love to watch movies in different languages! My partner watches a lot of anime and has picked up so much just by watching them! it’s amazing how successful that method can be for educating us 🙂 Thanks for reading lovely x

3. March 31, 2019 / 2:18 pm

Great post! It’s hard to find time to learn a language but I like the idea of watching movies/ tv shows with subtitles. Also, beautiful pictures x

• March 31, 2019 / 6:52 pm

Thank you for reading lovely! Movies and tv shows are a great way to learn for sure! X

4. April 14, 2019 / 3:57 am

I used Duolingo to begin to learn Italian and then I forgot a few days and then forgot entirely. Definitely want to pick it back up

• April 17, 2019 / 9:27 am

Ah it’s so hard to have the dedication some times 😩 I struggle from time to time but I hope you can get back into it one day lovely 😊x